Friday, November 24, 2006

Time to move on

I am going to visit Fiancé for a few days, leaving today. This will be the last weekend in our German home and the end of not-living-together. At the end of the week he will move to our first shared home. I am really looking forward to that, but somehow it is also a little sad to leave the old place and the city. I finished my dissertation in that apartment and I lived in the city for months at a time during the last three years of my PhD. Last year around this time I was moving out of my apartment in grad school city after a succesful defense, leaving all my friends and twelve years of my life behind. But for the past year I always had Fiancés place as sort of a link to our old life. Now we are really supposed to settle down for a while in new town. Although I have been there for a year now and have a good social network of people from work I still don't know anybody I would describe as real friends and I still don't feel a connection to the town. Fiancé is really excited about new town and I think it is about time I give it a real try too.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Blogger Chaser said...

Hey, I hope you two have a great time!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe and hassle-free travels, saxi! I reflect on places and home and belonging in a similar way.

P.S.
You are my first! This is the first time I've ever commented on a blog :-)

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger saxifraga said...

Thanks :-) And special thanks to you sleek for commenting for the first time. Hope you come back, both of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home