Sunday, October 21, 2007

I GOT THE JOB

I'm going to be a professor and leave the postdoc world behind starting summer 08.

I'm wildly excited about it but also a bit apprehensive about the upcoming move, about leaving this place when we finally begin to fell settled and feeling weirdly guilty that it went so easily for me. I haven't told many people yet. That's a bit strange, I thought I would be yelling from the rooftops, but truth to be told all I feel when it comes to announcing the news to my colleagues is guilt for leaving, for having bagged a better job and for not appreciating enough what I have here. I told my PI who was excited on my behalf, but sad to see me go. I also told my department chair who was excited on my behalf, and maybe not too sad to see me go and I told some friends and colleagues in grad school city who ranged from through the roof happy for me, to well, OK if that's what you want. It's not as strange as it sounds, because my colleagues are mainly people from what I consider my secondary sub-field and I'm sure I could make a good career for myself here if I wanted to stay in that field and if I didn't want to teach. But my new job is a chance to switch to my primary sub-field and a chance to switch to a university environment rather than the more corporate style workplace here and I think that's what they don't understand.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, Blogger post-doc said...

Congratulations many times over! I'm so pleased for you and wish you all the best as you move forward in your career!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic news, and I am very happy for you.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger ScienceWoman said...

Congratulations! I'm very excited for you and looking forward to hearing about the next stage of your adventures.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger ~profgrrrrl~ said...

Yay! Congratulations!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger saxifraga said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger saxifraga said...

Thanks so much. It's strange. Getting this offer has highligted so many things I dislike about my current job, but had suppressed in a way because it was after all very likely that I'd stay here in the long run. Now when I know I'm not staying I'm really looking forward to move back to academia but I'm also very grateful for having had the opportunities I've had here, which I cannot imagine having had in a university postdoc.

 
At 3:50 AM, Blogger Breena Ronan said...

That's great news! How's the location of your new job?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home