Monday, September 24, 2007

Resurfaced

Sorry for leaving you all behind without any notice whatsoever. The more time I spent away from the blog, the more difficult it was for me to get back to it. I've been dreading this site to the point where I didn't even go back to look at my blog roll, but somehow I knew that I wasn't about to quit but just didn't know where to go.

I've contemplated changing the format, the theme, the language and everything else about this blog, but keep coming back to the idea of keeping the style I've got. I'm not sure I like my own voice here. I feel it tends to be too bragging and self-congratulating since acknowledging my own achievements is partly what I have used it for or the other option is to be too whiny. At the moment I don't know exactly where I'm heading but I know I still want to write here and that I need the blog and the community here to help me process the thoughts about career and life-issues that I can't really share with my colleagues.

This summer have been one of the most stressful times of my life. I know other people cram more activities into their days than I do, but apparently my limit is here. I have been traveling on and off, but more or less continuously since mid May, done extensive field work for two different projects each with their difficulties, had my first experience as expedition leader under difficult circumstances with a malfunctioning group, taught a summer field course, taught regular classes and given my first key-note lecture at a conference. I have been burned out to the point where the mere thought of popping in here to leave a note about my lack of presence was unfathomable. Lately all sorts of physical ailments have been popping their head out and even I can tell it's time for a change of pace.

Sorry to be such a downer, but maybe the story of burning oneself out too easily isn't just my story, but the story for many of us early career people, working too hard to get ourselves established.

I'm back in a more reasonable work pace for now. After last weeks guest lecturer stint I'm now back in my own office, with my own projects. I'm also off the hook as department head as the person I was replacement for is back from sabbatical. I'm actually looking at full days of research time and no imminent deadlines hanging above my head.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you're back! Hope the next months will be less stressful.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(that was me, tricked by the return button...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home