Saturday, February 03, 2007

Just science

Next week will be blog for science week. Science bloggers are being urged to write about science and only science for a week. The details and rules are posted on the Just Science blog where there is also a sign up page for participants. The list so far can be seen here.


The challenge is:

Bloggers who self-identify as scientists and science writers should post on:

Published, peer-reviewed research and their own research.
Their expert opinion on actual scientific debates - think review articles.
Descriptions of natural phenomena (e.g., why slugs dissolve when you put salt on them, or what causes sun flares; scientific knowledge
that has reached the level of fact)

Bloggers who claim to be philosophers of science (or have been accused of so much) should post on issues, ideas, and debates in philosophy of science that are not frequently used or dictated by anti-scientific groups. The demarcation problem, for example, should be avoided unless it\n can be discussed without reference to anti-science movements.

And bloggers who are not scientists – focusing mainly on public and policy debates on scientific issues – should post on issues that are legitimately controversial for scientific reasons. Topics that are controversial simply because of anti-science movements should be avoided.


I am thinking about whether I want to participate. Although I am a scientist, this blog is not primarily a science blog. Maybe I am not enthusiastic enough, but in a way I get enough of science writing from working on articles and whatever popular science writing I might be involved in under my real name. In a way it could be fun to write something about my own research for a week, but that would involve revealing my field, but maybe that wouldn't be so bad either. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home