Monday, January 05, 2009

Happy New Year

It's the first day of the semester and my first day back at the office after a two week break. the students are back, University above the Arctic circle is buzzing with life and I'm attending a week-long long safety course to learn how to survive the winter field season. I didn't do any work at all during the break and I'm happy about that. I needed to leave the work thoughts behind for a while and focus on other things. I've spent time with my family, met my twin nieces for the first time, spent time with the husband's family and visited grad school city. It's been great to see the sun, sleep, read books for fun, catch up with people, talk to my parents and my siblings, see my nieces and nephews play and just be me for a while. It's also been kind of exhausting because much travel was involved, and I'm not very excited about leaving again already next week for an upcoming conference and another family visit or about settling back into work for that matter. I am excited about being back, though. About sleeping in my own bed, deciding what to eat and at which time and about spending time with the husband in our own home. I'm also excited about being back in the polar night, about getting back to running regularly and about not teaching this semester.

5 Comments:

At 4:37 AM, Blogger EcoGeoFemme said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like a busy but refreshing break.

How many hours of sun do yo get now? Do you get SAD?

 
At 5:11 AM, Blogger Silver Fox said...

Happy New Year. And for my blog updating, I'm going to have to subscribe to your blog because you don't seem to be on the geoblogosphere feed anymore. :(

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger saxifraga said...

EGF: we don't get any sun at all this time of the year. It sounds odd, but it's actually nice. There is such a special atmosphere when it's dark all the time - very quiet and relaxed. We still see the contours of the mountains because of the snow, the moon (and lights from town). I disliked the grey winters in my home country and postdoc town, but not this.

Silverfox: Maybe I'm not talking enough about geology to merit being part of the geoblogosphere. I hope you stick around anyway.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Amelie said...

Happy new year. I had similiar feelings about both the holidays and being back home.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Wayfarer Scientista said...

I love winter fieldwork above the arctic circle or below the antarctic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home